Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Conviction

     “When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in Me;  in regard to righteousness, because I and going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.”

     John 16:8-11. Have you ever felt that teensy, tiny nudge at the back of your mind telling you *not* to do something bad, or pushing you to do something good? If yes, then let me ask you another question: have you ignored it? If you said yes again, never fear. This girl has too! And many other Christians I’m sure. But as you and I know, soon that tiny nudge gets stronger until it feels like a full contact football tackle. That verse up there is talking about the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Trinity. Jesus said that He would send the Holy Spirit to convict the world of guilt. Just imagine with me for a second a world without the Holy Spirit. No one would get saved because Christians wouldn’t be convicted of stealing a cookie (yes, this has happened, by the way….), saying something malicious about another church member (this has happened as well…), or even criticizing the way some churches ran themselves (GEEZ y’all! Yes, this has happened too!).  But guess what: I have amazing news! When Jesus left, He sent the Holy Spirit to convict us so that we may be set apart from the world, and make the world wonder what we have! Now when we are convicted and repent, the world is sitting back scratching their chins wondering why we are so happy. They also look and see how we react during a tragedy. Are we leaning on God for His understanding or are we drawn away by bitterness. “You have two choices during a trial: you can become better or bitter.” Are you going to become better or bitter? I prefer better because I’ve been in the “bitter” category for years! It is not an attractive thing for a 13, 14, 15, 16 year old girl to be soo bitter! And do you know what I’ve started noticing? My sisters, ages 6 and 9, have started to become very cynical. And do you know where they learned it? This chick right here! It kills me to think that I helped create them that way. I’m going to clue you in on a little something right here: people are watching you, whether you realize it or not! Especially if they know you are a Christian, they will be watching, some holding their breath until you mess up. Which let’s all face it, happens daily. But fear not! God has promised to forgive usJ; which brings great comfort to this heart! Here are some of His promises:

“Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven- for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little. Then Jesus said to her, ‘Your sins are *forgiven*.
     Did you catch that? The woman loved more because she was forgiven more, but God loves each of us the same. Doesn’t it make sense that the person who was forgiven more, is more grateful? Jesus loves each of us regardless of how much God has forgiven us. He loves us because we are God’s creation. I mean He died for you. If that doesn’t say “I love you” then I don’t know what does. We’ve all been in that position when you ignore the Holy Spirit; and while you may have asked for forgiveness for the sin, you might not have asked forgiveness for ignore the Holy Spirit. I was convicted of that this morning. I’ll be honest with you and tell you that I have ignored that little nudge more than should be allowed. I bet we have all been in that position. God has shown me that, very recently.  

No comments:

Post a Comment